Make sure your first impression is a good one. Whether you are a teen applying for an after school job or a college grad applying for your first “full-time” job, the following tips can help you make the best first impression.
- Your shoes are clean and/or polished.
- Your clothes are pressed and stain-free.
- Your nails are clean and neat.
- Your hair is neat.
- You have removed all extra jewelry.
- You have clean copies of your resume.
- You have the address and phone number of the meeting place.
- You know how to get there and how long it will take. (BEING ON TIME IS CRITICAL)
- You know the names of everyone you are meeting and how to pronounce them.
- You have a notebook and pen (that works!)
- Your bag has essentials only—nothing bulky or extra.
- You are prepared for rain, sleet or snow, and your coat is in good condition.
- Ladies—you have a lipstick, powder compact and an extra pair of pantyhose.
Do the next five things with everyone you meet and you are well on your way to success!
- Look them in the eye.
- Give a firm handshake.
- Greet them – “How do you do?” or “How do you do, Mrs. ________”
- When saying your name, say it slowly and clearly.