Being in the hospital can be hard for patients, and they often look forward to visits from family and friends. When preparing to drop in on a patient, keep these tips in mind:
- Be sure to call ahead to a family member or the hospital patient information line to find out if the patient is allowed visitors.
- Check with the patient ahead of time to make sure he or she is up for seeing you.
- Plan to keep your visit brief and uplifting; take cues from the patient so you don’t overstay your welcome.
- It may be nice to bring along a touch of home that the patient may be missing while in the hospital (a favorite pillow or framed photo, for example)
- Avoid wearing perfumes or other strong scents on the day of your visit, as smells may seem stronger or nauseating to people who are ill.