Color and Your Professional Brand: Men
Five color tips for men:
- Wear colors beyond gray, navy, light blue, and white! Color helps you stand out from the blue shirt crowd.
- Choose a color that either brings out the color in your eyes or complements your skin tone.
- If you have pink/blue undertones to your skin, you are more suited to “cool” or blue-based colors like gray, navy, blue, black, white, blue-red and blue-green. Consider turquoise!
- If you have a yellow undertones to your skin, (maybe you freckle easily or are a redhead), you look great in warm, yellow-based colors like beige, brown, ivory, olive green, tan, and orange-red. Consider coral!
- Here are three easy ways to incorporate color:
- Wear a sweater in a color that works for you underneath your jacket. This is where you can experiment with turquoise or coral.
- Buy some new shirts! Browse sites like Mr. Porter and J. Crew to see what colors they are showcasing. You might even consider a patterned shirt with a new-to-you color.
- If you’re a tie-wearing guy, wear ties that make you stand out in a good way (no cartoon characters, please!). Brooks Brothers has an amazing selection of ties. Donate all old ties that just don’t work to Goodwill or the Salvation Army.