- Be as cautious with IMing as you are with email. Make sure you know to whom you’re messaging.
- Never offer any personal or private information via IM.
- Choose your screen name wisely; gimmicky names are unprofessional and you should be easily identifiable.
- If you IM and get no response, try again later. The recipient could be busy with something else or away from their computer, so don’t take it personally.
- Respect “Do not disturb” status or “Be right back” messages.
- At work, keep messages on task.
- Keep track of your conversations.
- Don’t IM from a friend’s computer unless you’re both in on the conversation.
- Sign off clearly so that others know you’re exiting the conversation.